Bentley B5 CD won't install under XP?

Audi A4/S4, version 99.12. I had it installed one time, but I dont; recall what version of windows it was. I just found the CD again and tried to install it on an XP system. Setup.exe just just quits without an error (evne when run from a command prompt) Is this one supposed to run under XP?

Doug Warner

I have three systems running XP Pro SP-1 (with all upgrades *except* SP-2) and they all work fine with the same Bentley B5. However, the one machine I had experimentally updated with Service Pack 2 would no longer run the Bentley B5 (or either of my Delorme Street Atlas versions). Those were the first three programs I tried under SP-2 and they all failed, which pissed me off enough to immediately restore that machine to pre-SP-2 state, and all is well again.

I have one other system, a dual P4 Xeon 2.8ghz workstation, that I was never able to get the Bentley CD to work on. I kept getting a "JREW.EXE" failure - I can't recall if that was during the installation or just when trying to run the program after installation, but there was clearly something amiss with the Java support on that machine.

Which reminds me that Microsoft was effing around with Java support on XP during its first couple/few years in retaliation to Sun's hegemony over Java licensing, and who knows which Update did what to Java on XP.

So you might consider creating a fresh backup of your boot partition, and then obtain and install Sun's Java distribution to replace MS's kit. This might fix the problem, or not. If it does, be sure to let us know :-) or if I get around to it before you, I'll let you know the outcome.

Finally, note that those rascals at Bentley would love to sell you their newer-technology edition. Right. And eff them.

At worst, if forced to SP-2 across my fleet of systems, I'll just install a second, stripped-down SP-1 boot partition with just enough juice to run the CD on one of our laptops and leave it at that...

Cheers

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

I could be hopelessly wrong, but ISTR some part of MS's Java support being removed for SP2. I've a feeling it's tripped me up before and the solution was to install Sun's Java instead. So if you you want SP2, try installing the JRE (Java Runtime Environment), from here instead:

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

You can also try running the installer under compatibility mode. Right click the installer EXE and select properties and the compatibility to something like Win 98.

Audi A4/S4, version 99.12. I had it installed one time, but I dont; recall what version of windows it was. I just found the CD again and tried to install it on an XP system. Setup.exe just just quits without an error (evne when run from a command prompt) Is this one supposed to run under XP?

Art M

Tried compat mode, and the latest Sun JVM. No change. The exe doesn't even try to run. I just send a feedback to RB, I'll see what they have to say. =20

Doug Warner

You already know what they're going to say ;-)

Oh well, thanks for the effort...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

I have version 99.12, and, they said this:

To:=20 Subject: RE: upgrade from Version 1 =46rom: "Dobush, Thomas" Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:55:35 -0400

Dear Sir or Madam, =20 Your CD is obsolete and will not run with your current operating system, you are entitled to a free upgrade to the latest version of the software which will run with windows XP. =20 Please send your CD back to us along with a copy of this email. Once we have received it we can send the new version out to you. Please make sure to include your return address. =20 Our address is below as well as on the back of the CD jewel case. Send Attention UPGRADES. My apologies for any inconvenience. =20 Thank you. =20 Regards, Thomas Dobush Customer Service Representative [B] Bentley Publishers, Automotive Books and Manuals

1734 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
1-800-423-4595 617-528-4061 (direct) 617-876-9235 (fax) mailto: snipped-for-privacy@bentleypublishers.com =20

Doug Warner

I'm thinking of buying one of those Bentley CDs for my A4 because Haynes doesn't make a manual for my year yet. How does the content on the CDs compare to that of a Haynes manual?

--Art

Reply to
Art M

Art, Think of the difference between Hanes and Bentley as the difference between an Operation! board game and Grays Anatomy text book. There are tons of jokes about the Hanes manuals out there, but the best in in most of the Hanes Manuals I've read, "Installation is reverse of removal". Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - Bentley set used frequently 1980 Audi 5k - Bentley manual used frequently (with one backup copy), Hanes manual used for joke book, Chilton manual used to keep dust off of Hanes manual
Reply to
Steve Sears

I have the CD. Would rather have print edition of the CD which I believe is also available from Bentley.

Reply to
Dennis Wyatt

is also available from Bentley.

I bought the CD when I was considering a 2001 S4 (deal fell through with my stock prices). One thing I didn't like was that the electrical diagrams didn't seem to have linked pages. Some lines would go off-page, with no click-to-go-there links. I hope the new version is better than this, or I'll have to buy the paper version to go with my future Audi. (IBM stock was to be the down payment :-(

Still, I wonder about using a CD manual with car crud all over my hands. I certainly wouldn't use my current laptop for this:

I suppose I could buy an older, larger-screeen machine to use as a garage computer.. I wonder if I can serve up the CD from my main system over a wireless network link

Doug Warner

also available from Bentley.

Possibly - but what definitely works is to create an image of the CD and use that with a CD-drive emulator (eg: Paragon CD Emulator). Saves LT battery life, no chance of dropping/scratching/losing the CD in the garage, and it's quicker...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Can't you print out the pages you need for a job?

--Art

BTW, can someone explain the B5 & B6 platform designations that I've seen in this group to me? I have an A4 and don't understand the relationship.

I bought the CD when I was considering a 2001 S4 (deal fell through with my stock prices). One thing I didn't like was that the electrical diagrams didn't seem to have linked pages. Some lines would go off-page, with no click-to-go-there links. I hope the new version is better than this, or I'll have to buy the paper version to go with my future Audi. (IBM stock was to be the down payment :-(

Still, I wonder about using a CD manual with car crud all over my hands. I certainly wouldn't use my current laptop for this:

I suppose I could buy an older, larger-screeen machine to use as a garage computer.. I wonder if I can serve up the CD from my main system over a wireless network link

Art M

LOL. I don't mind that as much as the directions for a complicated job. Every step is a simple one liner that refers you to another chapter.

--Art

Reply to
Art M