bronco II 87 4 x 4 problem

i have a bronco II 1987 , that i can engage the 4 x 4 from inside the truck , with a ceeling control that has a low traction to . My problem is that when i engage the 4 x 4 , i have a spinning / grinding noise comming from the front driver side wheel when i push on the gas , and i dont have traction from the front , and what should i check and how does it work to lock the front wheel , and is there a way to lock the front wheel manually even if it is permanent , because that truck is use to snowplow my driveway and does not go on the street , so if i can save money by having a permanent

4 x 4 i dont mind

snipped-for-privacy@hybride.com

Reply to
Patrice Barrette

permanent > 4 x 4 i dont mind

Probably a "blown hub" ; but could be the joint . (I'd put the hub as a 9 out of 10 probability) .

The "ceiling control" just about guarantees that you have "automatic hubs" as that was the usual package of options. If you don't have a knob that says "LOCK - UNLOCK" on the center of the front wheel spindle; they are automatic.

For plowing; you *don't* want "automatic hubs"!!

They will constantly be locking and unlocking as you go from forward to reverse; as well as the fact that they usually take 10-30 feet to do the lock/unlock "stuff". This not only robs you of traction when you need it; it causes lots of stess and noise as the auto hubs "do their thing" .

Replace both left and right hubs with manual ones; the OEM FORD ones do work but I'd go with Warn / Milemarker / Superwinch or otherwise as you *will* be stressing the hell out of them when plowing .

If the B II is always "off road"; you could have a local shop take the remains of your auto hubs and weld them "solid" .

There are other places; possibly cheaper; but I like "these guys"

R. Asby Dragon